Followers

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Spooling- 5:3

October 6th, 2012

When & Where:

So I came across this word when I was trying to set-up my classroom printer about a month ago. At that time, I just ignored the word because I was busy setting up everything for the new school year. But the problem was, my classroom printer just kept “spooling” and it would not properly re-start…

After I called technology support, I realized I am totally printer illiterate! Apparently, I forgot to remove the slip off the ink cartridge when I attempted to replace the ink.  


Definition: According to http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/spooling.html the definition of the word spooling "refers to putting jobs in a buffer, a special area in memory or on a disk where a device can access them when it is ready."the definition of the word spooling
My Level of Familiarity: . Initially when I saw the word, I thought the word sounded kind of dirty (lol). Then I realized I have heard that word used before in another context. I believe the word "spooling" was in one of my history textbooks. I just could not remember what it meant. As I searched for images to represent this word, I found thousands of images. There were various representations of this word and many of which applied to different disciplines. For example, I found pictures of "printer spooling" and military personnel spooling trackways for soilders to walk across.
 
Reflective Commentary: Then as I went through pictures, I realized how "easy" this word really is. Spooling can also refer to a basic thread and the spool used to hold it. What is most fascinating about this revelation is how this basic concept of "spooling" has been carried over to so many things; for instance systems that hold rope, thread, ribbon jumper hoses, fishing reels, and even wires.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment