Followers

Monday, October 15, 2012

Malarkey- 7:1


Malarkey- 7:1

Saturday, October 13, 2012


When & Where: I came across this word, ubiquitous, while watching the vice presidential debate this week. Vice President Joe Biden, used the word many times when sparring with his opponent Paul Ryan. VP Joe Biden first used it to dismiss Paul Ryan’s explanations on foreign policy as a “bunch of malarkey” (USAtoday.com).  

Definition: As defined by Merriam Webster.com, Malarkey is considered to be insincere or foolish talk.  


Level of Familiarity: : Although I had not had exposure to this word before, I was able to gather from the Vice President’s tone what this word means. I basically gathered that he was insinuating that Paul Ryan was presenting “just a crock of bologna.”


Reflective Commentary: Now that I have looked up the exact definition of this word, I will definitely use it. It’s definition is very basic and I have no doubt that I will be able to use this word correctly. What I found most interesting about this word, in comparison to others in my journal, is that I was able to make meaning much quicker when I heard it used correctly in context. Additionally, the way Vice President Joe Biden used it helped to reinforce its word meaning. I may have not understood the complexity of the foreign policies issues but I least I gathered that Joe Biden thought Paul Ryan was blowing smoke up his ass…

No comments:

Post a Comment