Followers

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Corneal Abrasion 7:2

Corneal Abrasion 7:2

Saturday, October 27, 2012
When & Where: So I came across this word when my Ophthalmologist used this to diagnose my sudden eye condition that is affecting my vision.  She first mentioned it during my frantic exchange phone call  during after hours. Shortly after speaking on the phone, I looked the condition up on my iPhone.
What it means: Thank GOD, it’s treatable and goes away! But apparently, a corneal abrasion is like a scratch to your cornea. Although, I’ve heard of scratching your cornea, I haven’t heard it referred to as a corneal abrasion. According to geteyesmart.org, a corneal abrasion is a “scratch or scrape on the cornea, the clear round dome covering the eye's iris and pupil.”

Level of Familiarity: Like I mentioned previously, I have heard of just simply scratching your cornea, I have not heard of a corneal abrasion. When the Ophthalmologist called it a “corneal abrasion,” my condition sounded so severe! My level of concern was raised and I was immediately prompted to say “Am I going blind?” Luckily, this is a very minor condition that clears itself up in about 2-3 days. Phew!
Reflective Commentary: I truly feel that these blogs really display our literacy identities. For each student, they show the types of texts that we encounter or are interested. Although I strive to stay away from online medical texts, my hyper compulsive personality often affects my reading material. When I become really stressed, I tend to spend more time looking up diseases or disorders online and begin self-diagnosing myself and my family. Hopefully, this phase will subside as it often interferes with my productivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment