Followers

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Indemnify- 6:1

October 7th, 2012

Indemnify- 6:1

When & where: This past week I was reviewing a legal document and I discovered this word, indemnify.

Definition: According to  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/indemnify the word indemnify can either mean “to secure against hurt, loss or damage” or to make “compensate to for incurred hurt, lost or damaged.”

Level of Familiarity: Because meaning was not interrupted by the word “indemnify” in the sentence I was reading from, I didn’t feel like I had to know the exact definition of the word.

Reflective Commentary: What I am finding most fascinating about this process of blogging my vocabulary words in my search for images. Through this navigation, I found many images pertaining to each word. Indemnify was no exception to that. I found lots of pictures of ways people would be compensated (pictures of cash, car insurance policies, repairs on vehicles, etc.)  if they were perhaps “indemnified.” I also found cartoon images represented court cases disputing whether or not employees were properly indemnified (an injured person’s right to claim reimbursement from his/her company).  But I picture I selected represents a movie titled “Double Indemnity.” I chose this picture because I was interested to see how this movie symbolically protrayed this meaning of indemnity. When I searched various websites, I found the reason behind the movie title on wikipedia.org. Apparently, there are some life insurances policies that offer double the insurance payout to the widow if the cause of death is accidental. The premise of the movie is based on this promiscuous house-wife attempting to have her husband murdered. I felt like using this digital narrative text, I was able to support my learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment