Followers

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Conceptual Load: 8-2

Conceptual Load: 8-2

Sunday, October 28th, 2012

When & Where: While re-reading my article ('Why are There So Many Words in Math?") for reciprocal teaching, I came across this idea "conceptual load."

What it means: There are many definitions of what a conceptual load means. However, based on my own sythesis of readings from my literacy program, I believe that conceptual load refers to th amount of concepts that are in a text, and or content area. Now that I have defined the basic meaning, I think that begs the question: what is meant by concept then?

According to wikipedia.com, a concept is "a general idea, or something conceived in the mind." More specifically, "an idea of something formed by mentally combining all its characteristics or particulars; a construct" (dictionary.com).


Level of Familiarity: My level of familiarty with the word concept is very high. I have used the word, concept, so many times when planning lessons or even in my graduate studies. Much like the word "knowledge," or "experience" it's a word that you know what it means but when you begin to unpack it you ask yourself "Do I really know what it means?"

Reflective Commentary: It's a tricky word because it represents an abstract idea. A construct of something that you have envisioned in your mind. But for education, concepts are constructed by the authority or the state. Your definition of the concept, school, looks very different from everyone else's. Knowledge is constructed through your own personal experiences within and outside of the school environment.

As a teacher, it is critical that you seek to teach material that is not isolated to only one subject area. You should try and find overall concepts that can be linked to other subject areas. This helps to make learning more meaningful for students.

No comments:

Post a Comment