Followers

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Salience 9:2


Salience 9:2
When and Where: I encountered this word while reading the article for class, "Content Literacy for the 21st Century: Excavation, Elevation, and Relational Cosmopolitanism in the Classroom." In context it reads "Explicit in much of this history is the salience of inquiry -based teaching and learning" (2012, p. 233).

What it means: According to http://www.thefreedictionary.com, the word salient means to be either- "Projecting or jutting beyond a line or surface" or "strikingly conspicuous; prominent."

Level of Familiarity: I know I have come into contact with this word before. I probably just ignored it because it did not interfere with my meaning making abilities.

Reflective Commentary: I had a conversation with the speech therapist that I work with this week. We were discussing how she is trying to teach her students to learn to use important tier 2 vocabulary words. She is having them look up the words, find pictures to represent the meaning and also writing the word in a sentence correctly. The students are struggling most with this aspect. I even have trouble sometimes during those vocabulary tests. I often wonder, does this sound right? So just to really reinforce this word meaning, I am going to make myself engage in a very difficult task using a newly learned word in a sentence, correctly. The salience of assessment in schools in becoming overwhelming for all.

Now, when it comes to my picture, I know this is not the most school appropriate selection but it really helped me at acquring the word meaning of the word salience. When I searched for images, I simply just searched under "salience." Under that search this picture really captivated the meaning for me. The guy with the steriods is so consipisous that it's hard not to look at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment