Followers

Monday, December 3, 2012

13.2- Gin Blossom


13:2- Gin Blossom


When and Where:  I encountered this word in conversation with a co-worker about a friend of his who allegedly enjoys his weekends more than most of us. He said, “I think his red nose is a gin-blossom.” I had not heard this term before and I asked what it meant. He told me I’d better look it up to verify, but he thought it was facial redness from excessive alcohol consumption.

What it Means: It appears that my co-worker was pretty close. There seems to be a bit of debate on what exactly is meant by the term “gin blossom.” It is either the flush faced, red neck reaction that some people have to alcohol,  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction) or broken capillaries in ones face due to continued alcohol abuse. (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060619143327AAzaqv5)
 

Level of Familiarity: I had never heard this term associated with anything outside of the 1990’s band “Gin Blossoms” who made it to fame with their cleverly crafted hit, “Hey Jealousy” back in 1992.

Reflective Commentary: This term has disturbing implications. Red faced friends and co-workers now leave me wondering. I am left with two options; forget about the term, or accept that I am surrounded by drunks.


No comments:

Post a Comment