Followers

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Turkish-Get Up (TGO) 3:1

Monday, September 17th, 2012

Turkish Get Up- 3.1

When and Where:  I came across this word or concept when I was participating in a Crossfit class at Flower City Crossfit (the gym that regularly go to). CrossFit is "a strength and conditioning program that uses a cross between all forms of fitness training" (http://chrisbeatcancer.com/what-is-crossfit/). 

Definition:  Turkish Get-Up, as defined by myomytv.com, is "an excellent full-body exercise that incorporates many challenges into one sequence." 



Level of Familiarity:  When I read these words on the white board listing our "workout of the day" (WOD), I had absolutely no idea what it meant or looked like. Once, I saw the other gym members doing a sequence of steps that looked unfamiliar to me, I realized they were doing the Turkish Get-Up. Although, I was able to figure out what the phrase represented (in terms of physical activity), I really had no idea where the phrase came from and why this physical activity was named this.



Reflective Commentary: This phrase "Turkish Get-Up" is really useful for cross-fitters to know and to be able to do.  It's an exercise that is used universally in cross-fit gyms. I could see myself using the phrase if describing to a group of people how cross-fit exercises differ from traditional gyms. This phrase is not a tier 2 word that is essential for understanding in all content disciplines. It is very content-specific (Tier 3) and would maybe be mentioned in a physical education class if the instructor had knowledge and experience in Cross-Fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment